Monday, February 23, 2009

Food art

I had a friend,an amateur photographer, once say that he thinks that close up shots of food are ALWAYS artsy, and therefore a cop out. That might be true, but I love gorgeous shots of food - even more so since I've recently took the plunge, bought myself a digital SLR and took a photography class. I want to start putting pictures of the food I eat and make, and I promise these will make their way onto the blog soon. Unfortunately, my Mac Powerbook (the really old school 13 inch edition) is finally on its last legs, and refuses to import pictures, rendering my "artfully" composed shots completely unviewable on this blog.

For now, I indulge my food photo fantasies on this super great website Tastespotting, where every morning, I get to work, turn on my computer, and spend a good 30 minutes perusing recipes and pictures before I attempt to get anything done.

These zucchini-parmesean cakes, which I know better as zucchini-parmesean latkes, I first saw on Tastespotting and will be attempting some time this week. I used to get them from Whole Foods when I was younger and they were my favorite thing to eat. I found them again at the River St. Whole Foods in Cambridge, but like most things from childhood, are never as good in the present. I think the problem with the Whole Foods ones I had is that first, I had purchased them before embarking on a 3 hour car ride to Maine and heated them in a gas station microwave reserved for Hot Pockets, and second, they were mushy to start out with. Whole Foods in an attempt to make them healthier, choose not to use a lot of oil where these are crying out to be fried up as proper latkes should be.

2 comments:

Christine said...

Close up pictures of food are ALWAYS welcome! You could shoot a grape with a smear of peanut butter and it would be perfection.

JoanneD727 said...

Totally not true, a lot of Wholefoods food is very greasy. I never did like those latkas... the quinoa cakes were delicious though.